Purbecks pre-xmas pie plod. 15 December

....Think I may have to sit this one out :( I have a stinking cold and have pulled my back.... :facepalm:

wookiee":187y5t04 said:
....Think I may have to sit this one out :( I have a stinking cold and have pulled my back.... :facepalm:

All in the mind, this ride sounds mint promanards brew cakes and strange beasts ( I wana come jumping up pulling wookiees sleeve ) but I'm miles away and the fear of unexpatances holds me back.

Enjoy lads looking forward to pics, strange beasts? Or it's tracks? And I don't mean wookiees!

Yeah I am gutted...its been brewing all week and today feel like shit! If by some miracle I feel better tomorrow then I'll let you know. Tim just call me wicket from now on! Truth be known I'm just shitting it about the "Purbeck Beast"!

I'm not sure how my black "panther" cat made it to the Purbecks. More likely to be seen on Alum Chine, and I think that's a bit far for him. He's harmless though

Last night I received text messages from Makster, suggesting the ride might not happen. I said I'd do it come what may, as I knew retroyetirigid would, as he'd taken the day off work for it.

This morning a quick text to Makster to see if he was up for it was replied to in the affirmative, so I set off to meet at 10, for the 10.15 ferry. It was windy. Very windy, but I got there, catching up with MatBH5 and Chris (retroyetirigid) on the approach to the ferry. We bought the 4 tickets required and waited for Mark. The 10am ferry left without us, as we waited. As the 10.15 ferry started to get ready to depart, Mat received a message from Mark saying no. When I got in I found he'd texted me too, at 9.42 to say too windy, and he was going home. Problem was I'd forgotten to charge my phone, so had to leave it behind, using my work mobile as my Strava devise.

So 3 of us got on the ferry, looking forward to the ride, knowing it would be challenging with the conditions. We decided to head to Old Harry Rocks, and get the climb out the way with hopefully a tailwind up most of it. BIG mistake. The wind was strong, a consistent 30 knts, gusting to 45 I'd say, into our teeth for the first 1/3 of the climb, then side on for the rest. As we got towards the top of the climb on the ridge, the wind picked up, and the hail started. We stopped for a pic or 2, which I hope Chris will post later. Then noticed that if we lifted the bikes with the wind behind us, they were blown to a 45 degree angle.

It was at this point we looked at each other, and decided to curtail the ride. We were soaked through, faces raw from the wind and hail, and it just wasn't fun. I've done that climb many times, and it was the hardest it's ever been.

We then headed by road to the golf course, and then cut through the downhill sections, passing a couple of CXers (who told me how nice my bike was when we saw them at the ferry), back to the ferry.

All in all, 22.5 miles door to door, 1900 ft climbed in just under 2.5 hrs.

It wasn't fun at the time, but I'm glad I did it, and respect to Mat and Chris for doing it too. Good company, which made it easier.

It was indeed a windy ride. My 1st propper ride for about 4 months (done the odd blast but only 1/2 -1 hour on the flat), so a bit of a shock to the system :shock:
Any way, some pics :D
PC151048_zps51e7fa31.jpg

The start on the Sandbanks ferry.

PC151049_zpsa80b597e.jpg

PC151050_zpsbccd160f.jpg

PC151051_zps69552edd.jpg

PC151052_zps77368e03.jpg

PC151053_zpsd3c8fb03.jpg

Big respect to both Tim and Mat for braving the foul weather and thank you to Tim for the tea, biscuits, change of clothes, a lift home and a bike. Wheel will be built swiftly for you ;)

Glad to see you made it back safely! I may be an ewok, but a warm dry one!

Next time boys....next time!

Doug

Back