Quill to ahead adapters & top caps

Little Bob

Senior Retro Guru
Just got one of these to use a 1 and 1/8th aheadstem with 1" threaded forks, but what do you do with the top cap - is it possible to fit one, or do you guys use something else?

Little Bob":32wmyc6f said:
Just got one of these to use a 1 and 1/8th aheadstem with 1" threaded forks, but what do you do with the top cap - is it possible to fit one, or do you guys use something else?

if it's like the one I got, it took me ages to work it out as I was doing as ahead-ahead extending rather than quill to ahead converting. Anyway, inserted a star nut into the top of the extender as if it was normal steerer and you just use accordingly. Not sure if this helps?

I kinda thought of that but thought about how I would get the quill out if I needed to...would it be easy?

well that's what I wondered and I don't think you can, so make sure you do it up tight!!

Little Bob":3oqclul7 said:

Usually they come with a rubber bung to fit in the top (like an oversized bar plug).

Xesh":946cf2l4 said:
Usually they come with a rubber bung to fit in the top (like an oversized bar plug).

I have 2 unused Q-to-A ones that I'm going to send to Orange71 & I don't recall either of them having a top bung. Might be wrong, though.

Ahead-to-ahead extenders look like this:
SM1975.jpg

WITH a top-cap and I assume the centre bolt on this type goes all the way through to the original star-nut inside the fork steerer? I guess it has to? [scratches head]

Yes. That adapter comes with an extra long bolt to attach the cap to it.

You're confused about the type of adapter. Little Bob is trying to use an ahead stem with a threaded steerer. Basically you need a quill stem without the extension. Like this:

Attachments

• stemadaptor.jpg
    stemadaptor.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 867
Back