Removing a Freehub

kingoffootball

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Does anyone have any suggestions for removing a Shimano freehub from a rear hub that is not built up as a wheel?

It's an M900 hub and I have a 10 mm allen key socket, but I haven't found a way to hold the hub securely enough to turn it. Any idea of a good way to do it without damaging the hub?

wrap it in leather and put in the bench vise.
I made a set of wooden V blocks the last time I did it to clamp around the centre of the hub in the vise, so that's a bit more of a pragmatic approach if you haven't got access to the massive bench vise I have.

Install a cassette and use a chain whip to hold the cassette still. That gives you leverage to undo the freehub bolt.

errr, I don't think that will work given that the hub will spin on the freehub still and that's what the bolt is locked in to. happy to be proven wrong, but my slow memory and even slower brian says it won't work.

errr, I don't think that will work given that the hub will spin on the freehub still and that's what the bolt is locked in to. happy to be proven wrong, but my slow memory and even slower brian says it won't work.
If you hold the cassette body still and turn the freehub retaining bolt anticlockwise, you're putting an anticlockwise torque on the hub shell. That's the same as putting a clockwise torque on the cassette, the same as pedalling forwards. The freehub pawls stop the shell rotating.

Now, if you take a right hand glove and turn it inside out ...

Clamp a length of 2x2 timber or similar in a bench vice, drill a big enough hole in the middle to accept the none drive side of the hub/axle assembly, then using 1.5 pins/tacks, nail the hub through the spoke holes to the wood.

... or you could just install a cassette and use a chain whip to hold the cassette still. That gives you leverage to undo the freehub bolt.

Reactions: Woz
Back