Restoring my 1960 Rudge Sports that I rode across the USA in 1961

jedhannan

Retro Newbie
The bike is in fair condition. Approximately 4,000 miles on it. I am stripping it to bare metal and refinishing it to original. Have ordered decals. Question on the paint type, would it be nitrocellulose ? Color is black.

Thanks,
James (Jed) Hannan
Tehachapi, California, USA

Attachments

• 1960 Rudge Sports A.jpg
    1960 Rudge Sports A.jpg
    451.5 KB · Views: 37
  • 1960 Rudge Sports B.jpg
    1960 Rudge Sports B.jpg
    884.7 KB · Views: 36
Last edited by a moderator:
@jedhannan

A very friendly heads up.

You should remove your name, email, address, and tel. number from your post. That is way too much info to put out on an an available to anyone and any bot forum and very important if you have other personal info on the internet that might complete the identity bingo card.

Last edited:
@jedhannan

A very friendly heads up.

You should remove your name, email, address, and tel. number from your post. That is way too much info to put out on an an available to anyone and any bot forum and very important if you have other personal info on the internet that might complete the identity bingo card.
Sad but true.

It would be great to hear more about your transcontinental ride, Jed -- and photos from the time would be awesome.

Thanks to all who have replied. I guess I am from a kinder, gentler era where we trusted folks....I will remove my contact information, if one of you will be good enough to tell me how to do it.

Yes, I have a number of photos from the trip I will post. Along with the typed version of the handwritten notebook I kept, entitled "The Bike Trip Chronicles"

Cheers,
Jed

Question on the paint type, would it be nitrocellulose ? Color is black.
Hard to say for sure. Could have been cellulose or enamel paint, or it could have been stove enamelled.

Thanks to all who have replied. I guess I am from a kinder, gentler era where we trusted folks....I will remove my contact information, if one of you will be good enough to tell me how to do it.
Bottom left of your post it should say Report Edit Delete in blue. Click on Edit, delete the bits of the post you want to get rid of and click Save.

Thanks for your reply Jonny69. Being from this side of the pond I am not familiar with the term "stove enamelled" Could I assume it would be called "baked enamel" ( fired in a heated chamber) here ?

Also, my copy of the my original post does not give me the blue option to 'edit', just an option to 'report' :oops:

Thanks for your reply Jonny69. Being from this side of the pond I am not familiar with the term "stove enamelled" Could I assume it would be called "baked enamel" ( fired in a heated chamber) here ?

Also, my copy of the my original post does not give me the blue option to 'edit', just an option to 'report' :oops:
Yeah, baked enamel will be the same thing. It was common to get British 'lightweight' frames enamelled back in the 50s. Yours is a factory-built frame I think made by the Raleigh company who had bought up various brands including Rudge, Triumph and BSA. It might even have a Raleigh serial number. I don't know what they used to finish their frames though. Can't tell from your picture, does yours have the Rudge 'hand' chainring?

Strange you don't have the option to edit your post. Maybe it's because you're a new user. I've notified a moderator in case they can do it for you.

I think you'll need 5 posts to qualify for the edit function. Perhaps one of the mods on here could quickly delete the unwanted info?

Back