Retrobike Touring.

Even with dynamo and/or solar, a power brick that can be charged whilst also charging a phone through it is a good idea for stops (overnight or otherwise) where there's a power socket available. Fairly heavy but reassuring to have.

I would also be interested to hear thoughts and tips on more modern...ish dyno hubs and how best to socket/ wire them.

Whilst im a paper map ordinance survey fetishist too, lights and phone charger might be useful off a rim brake friendly dynamo hub.

Apparently maps are now so unusual, I often get people point at me as they passing cars whilst consulting one......well i assume its the map!

I bought this dynamo and threaded the cable through the crown of the fork into one side of the fork and out the bottom through the small vent or drainage hole. I had to drill it out minimally for this.
But looks nice and tidy I think.
IMG_20210503_125050.jpg

Need a set of new 26" touring wheels, I want to get a decent set so can forget about them for a while, probably go for a dynamo at the same time. I have heard good things about Ryde Andra 40 rims are there any others I should consider ? Looking for Deore spec hubs.

Also anyone know of a decent wheel building in the South West ?

Sputniks are the usual go-to touring rim and Spa Cycles have a great reputation for the wheels they sell.
I really rate my LBS in Ringwood, also of course @jonnyboy666 in Holbury - I have seen some beautiful wheels he's built although never owned a pair.

Last edited:
I'll have a look, on my recent tour my Rockhopper was just fine but the rear wheel has seen better days and I was carrying a fair amount of weight.

Sputniks are the usual go-to touring rim and Spa Cycles have a great reputation for the wheels they sell.
I really rate my LBS in Ringwood, also of course @jonnyboy666 in Holbury - I have seen some beautiful wheels he's built although never owned a pair.
I may drop you a PM one day soon if that's ok, just to pick your brain a little ?

Back