Dawes Edge XT

benjabbi

Bontrager Fan
In February 1999 I started working for Oakley Cycles in Rushden, one of the first jobs I had was to build up a job lot of Dawes Edge Xt, 6 bikes IIRC, they were a couple of years old and were selling for £600 instead of the £999 rrp, I remember them because they were the first better quality bikes I got my hands on!
Anyway, a couple of years ago, a customer bought in one of those original bikes looking to get it road worthy, it was completely original and really didn't need much, tyres and tubes, new saddle and a little service. He decided to buy a new bike instead, we sorted that out and as he was leaving said 'You might as well keep the Dawes, I'm never going to do anything with it!' Now obviously I had recognised the bike, with its Oakley Cycles sticker on the top tube, placed there by me all those years ago, but never said anything to the customer, so to be given it was just amazing.
It's sat about for a couple of years, before deciding to do something with it.
I decided to upgrade it in the way I would have BITD. This is the result, what do you think? (can anyone confirm it's actual model year please, it might need moving to the >98 section)
If anyone has a WTB SST saddle they want to sell me it would be much appreciated, just awaiting a USE shim for the post I wish to fit and then it's complete!

Attachments

• DSC_0580_copy_4815x2972.jpg
    DSC_0580_copy_4815x2972.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,491
  • DSC_0582_copy_4127x3068.jpg
    DSC_0582_copy_4127x3068.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,487
  • DSC_0583_copy_2512x3376.jpg
    DSC_0583_copy_2512x3376.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,455
  • DSC_0586_copy_3635x3249.jpg
    DSC_0586_copy_3635x3249.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,485
Re:

That's an amazing background story to how you came to be the owner of the bike :)
I can't help with dating the bike, how much have you changed? Was it originally v-brakes etc?

Thanks jimo! I've changed a few things, forks were RST Mozo Pro now Pace MXCD, it had XT brake calipers, I put the DX on cos' red and no rattely linkages. Wheels were LX on Mavic 221 (hubs now on the Giant, rims on Cannondale) now Sun Rhyno lites on XT rear Pace front. Bar and stem, I do love an Azonic Shorty! Headset and seat collar, again cos' red! Drivetrain is totally original and works perfectly. Just seatpost (USE alloy) and saddle to go, possibly some proper tyres at some point.

Spec list:

Frame: Dawes Edge XT 18" Easton Elite

Fork: Pace RC-35 MXCD

Headset: FSA Orbit Extreme
Stem: Azonic Shorty 75mm
Handlebar: Azonic 2" rise
Grips: ODI Attack
Barends: n/a

Brakes: Shimano DX v-brake
Brake Pads: Shimano Deore XT
Brake Cables: Jagwire compressionless
Cantilever cable hangers: n/a
Brake Levers: Shimano XT m-739

Shifters: Shimano XT m-739
Front Derailleur: Shimano LX m-569
Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT m-739
Derailleur Cables: Shimano
Cassette: Shimano STX RC 11-28 8 speed
Chain: Taya
Cranks: Shimano LX m-569
Crank Bolts: Shimano Allen bolt
Chainrings: Shimano LX m-569
Chainring bolts: Shimano
Bottom Bracket: Shimano UN-52
Pedals: Shimano DX SPD m-636

Hub Skewers: XT m-737 rear, STX front
Rims: Sun Rhyno Lite 32h
Hubs: Shimano XT m-737 rear, Pace RC-50 DH front both 32h
Nipples: DT Swiss brass
Spokes: DT Swiss competition
Tyres: Tioga Factory DH 2.3" Fat 66
Tubes: Bontrager

Saddle: Specialized Bridge (want a WTB SST)
Seatpost: Kalloy (USE alloy once the shim arrives)
Seatpost Binder: Ebay special!

Weight: I'll find out, about 26/27lbs at a guess.

Does anyone know when Dawes stopped producing mtb frames in house and moved to Taiwanese manufacturing? I'm assuming this bike comes from around that time.

Thanks k-rod and mk one!
For some reason I feel the need to fit some period tat to this, I have a Bullet Bros tensioner, a cog hog and would like a DCD in anodized red,all pretty pointless, but I would have done it bitd.

Nice story, cool bike! I would think it is not build in house in England. I remember Dawes from fillet brazed steel and welding aluminium is another technique.

Latest posts

Back