Dawes Edge XT

Swapped a few bits, it's slowly edging towards full XT and is riding well, although I need to change a leaky seal in the fork.

Attachments

• DSC_0801_copy_3750x2307.jpg
    DSC_0801_copy_3750x2307.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 482
Re:

Very nice build and great story. Gotta be a keeper for you then.

I much prefer the flat bar XC race bike look. I also like the bombers so for me I’d stick with the current setup.

Well done buddy

:LOL:

Thanks prezza, yes, definitely a keeper!
I've experimented a lot with bars and stems on this bike and have ended up with a set up that has identical dimensions to the stock set up. It just seems to suit it! I'm trying to ignore the fact that I've found out the Salsa stem is part of a recalled batch, it was NOS and cheap a few years back, will probably be fine but the niggling doubt is there! So will probably change it. Shame really, it looks great but I'm not a fan of dentists.
Just need to sort the fork, I have the seal but need some oil. I'd like a matching XT front hub, front mech and cassette. Also better tyres are a priority, these cheap Fires somehow achieve the impossible of being not too grippy on dirt and draggy as hell on tarmac!

Enjoyed the read and the history - and the bike is looking sweet.
I also wonder when Dawes stopped production in England ?

Thanks ibbz, I would very much like to know the story of them stopping production in England, it was a shame really.
I've changed the tyres, these are much faster rolling, not so sure about tan walls on this though? Even though it came stock with tan Velociraptors. Also changed the seatcollar, the Kalloy qr was as wide as the lever was long!

Attachments

• DSC_0826_copy_4889x3207.jpg
    DSC_0826_copy_4889x3207.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 408
Full XT m739 achieved :D also back on its original rims, new seal fitted in the forks and a slightly wider X-lite bar with ODI Attack grips. I 'think' it's finished! :D

Attachments

• edge xt 1.jpg
    edge xt 1.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 194
  • edge xt 2.jpg
    edge xt 2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 191
  • edge xt 3.jpg
    edge xt 3.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 184
  • edge xt 4.jpg
    edge xt 4.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 187
  • edge xt 5.jpg
    edge xt 5.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 185
  • edge xt 6.jpg
    edge xt 6.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 183
  • edge xt 7.jpg
    edge xt 7.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 183
  • edge xt 8.jpg
    edge xt 8.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 192
@WillOB1989 Welcome to Retrobike 👍😁 get some pictures up when you can, I'd like to see another one.
This one had all its bits stolen for other projects but I have been thinking about resurrecting it recently, It popping back up on here has given me a shove in the right direction. 🙂

Back