wheel issues on the merlin - help please

saltyman

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
stuck the bike together yesterday and noticed the rear wheel, when sitting in the drop outs nicely, rubs onto the left hand chainstay.........to the point where you cannot ride or adjust it.

today i looked at it further, even replaced the tires with skinny 1.95 ones and it only just allows the wheel to run round without catching.

is it the wheel at fault? im no bike mechanic........few pics to explain.

28042010757.jpg

28042010756.jpg

28042010755.jpg

with skinny tires on.....

28042010758.jpg

the previous owner did not have the same issue?
do you see any "old" rub in the chainstay?

looks like the wheel has not been centered correct

sent him a PM to see if he had issues, cant see that bike ever being rode on that wheel.

As a quickie turn the wheel round 9sideways!) 180 degrees so the sprockets are on the drive side.

Is the tyre/rim now touching the other chainstay?

taffy":3ahli7n2 said:
As a quickie turn the wheel round 9sideways!) 180 degrees so the sprockets are on the drive side.

Is the tyre/rim now touching the other chainstay?

never thought of trying that, will try tomorrow as the bike lives in my old room at my parents ;)

either the wheel is dished wrong or your rear is bent? :p does the rim look centered with the BB?

i would definitely throw on another rear wheel on that frame to see if it's the same. and vice versa with the rear wheel onto another bike.

i have 1.95s on my Merlin and there's plenty and equal clearance left and right.

Back