wheel issues on the merlin - help please

sq_root_of_2":2j1v5ms5 said:
I think in another post you had questions about BB's.

Weren't you having an issue with crank clearance on one side as well?

Could this be related?

that was for a san andreas mate.

had a look at the merlin earlier and turned the rear wheel around, seems a tiny bit more clearance.

also checked the stays and drop outs.......no damage or bending.

rear wheel is true and sits in stays smoothly.

middle of rear tyre points directly to the middle of the seat tube, so it would seem its only menat to run skinny rubber!

frustrating, as i would like to run 2.1/2.2......

I'd be very surprised if it had less clearance on one side by design. Did you do the string thing? Different wheel?

MikeD":jny2idn5 said:
I'd be very surprised if it had less clearance on one side by design. Did you do the string thing? Different wheel?

aint tried the string thing yet, im going to find a wheel from somewhere and stick it on, see what its like.

saltyman":klotsaj3 said:
frustrating, as i would like to run 2.1/2.2......

dunno if i ever threw on a 2.1 on it. think i've only had two different sets of 1.95 as i've wanted to keep it light as reasonably could. i'll give a 2.1 a try tonight and report back.

cheers, im sure the tires it had on were 2.1 and they rubbed like hell, so never rode it.

tried it with 1.95 and it seemed fantastic.

RockiMtn":2i7xi8bv said:
suburbanreuben":2i7xi8bv said:
Rocky Mtn's stays look pukka…

PUKKA??? is that bad??? :LOL: I have no idea what that means. :p

Pukka is english slang for 'authentic' or 'first rate' so don't worry about that. You only need to worry if Jamie Oliver (annoying celebrity chef) says it and then you'll probably want to kick your TV in :shock: :LOL:

Interestingly it also describes a certain kind of weed that's interesting to smoke :shock: :cool:

As promised, here are my results…

2.1s SHOULD fit. Tyre is an IRC Mythos, big nobbies on the edges. Plenty of clearance left, right and front. Bit of a hard time getting past the pads on the brakes though.

Mine is a 94 Titanium, not a later XLM, which I think had slightly larger frame tubing? Don't know if the tubing was changed on the stays.

Attachments

• IMG_3136.JPG
    IMG_3136.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 669
  • IMG_3135.JPG
    IMG_3135.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 669
  • IMG_3134.JPG
    IMG_3134.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 669
Back