wheel issues on the merlin - help please

Are those chain stays supposed to be that asymmetric? The drive side seems to be really curvy, while the other side is comparatively straight. In pics 2 and 3 the wheel does seem to be centred on the seat tube, though it could be the angle of photo...

Those chainstays do look asymmetrical to me too.
Perhaps the frame is designed for a dishless rear wheel?
As Kaiser said, is it centred between the seatstays? If it's off-centred there too then I say the wheel is the problem.
If it's centred on one but not the other then the frame could be bent.

Post up some more pictures.

Yes, the stays are asymmetrical towards the BB to allow for the cranks. However, the arch of the curve is so that it should become equal distance around the rim.

Attachments

• IMG_3132.JPG
    IMG_3132.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 1,118
  • IMG_3130.JPG
    IMG_3130.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 1,118
their looks to be some rubbing on the inside of the chain ring side of the stay (on the blue bike)

It's hard to tell but to me in pic 2 the welding looks less clean on the drive side dropout.

If the other wheel is ok try to hang the frame vertically using a spirit level against the top tube and put a ruler across the dropouts with a plumb line in the dead centre. See if it drops straight to the seatpost.

For the plumbline just make one with string and something soft for the weight so it won't scratch the frame.

one thing i'd suggest if overlooked is that you've actually had a skewer mounted and properly seated and locked the wheel in place. i notice in your pics that's not the case.

Run a piece of string from the rear dropouts up and around the head tube. There should be equal distance between string and seat tube either side.
First, turn the wheel round though. That will tell you if it's frame or wheel.
Fingers crossed it's the wheel! ;)

RockiMtn":j9w2eckb said:
Yes, the stays are asymmetrical towards the BB to allow for the cranks. However, the arch of the curve is so that it should become equal distance around the rim.
Not sure whether this is the same model or not, but: Rocky Mtn's stays look pukka, in that they seem to bend AWAY from the chainset, to give the max possible space for the rings. Non drive side stay is also very curved. In Salty's 2nd pic, they seem to bend towards it, and non drive stay is pretty straight in comparison. :?
The Suck plate is in the way though...

I think in another post you had questions about BB's.

Weren't you having an issue with crank clearance on one side as well?

Could this be related?

Back