1995 Rocky mountain Altitude build thread. Updated July 10th.

I'm having problems to find a nice Mag21 with more than 190 ahead tube. What do you think about this for an Altitude? It's a 1998 Bomber.
It's fresh overhauled. I only found doubtly MAG21 and Judys, but short steerer. Any good advice around here?
I will wait some days. My options are:
- Mag 21 , but I prefer gold stanchions to install it with no boots. A lot nicer IMO. I'm not going to use the bike regularly, and never with mud or rain.
- Mag 21 SL Ti: I found a nice unit but at 200 € shipped. Maybe a bit expensive and risky. Are the mags hard to mainatin by myself?
- Judy XC. Also period correct, but maybe the cartridges are delicated,and I should look for a steel spring rebuilt unit?
- A Bomber: Not my preferred one stetically, but the best for good suspension on that period. But it should be black IMO. I found a piece for the bridge, for my M900 brakes.

b0c579a0-883c-4121-8bd0-e8ae961aa1e6

Last edited:
An update. The crankset fits quite well, but maybe it's too much discolored. It's a pity. There is any way to return the anodised to a brighter state? And I would need new rings for it ( now three different brands and 2 colors in the rings).
I like the black syncros stem/seatpost more than silver. You were right.
Still pending to get a good Mag21...

Attachments

• Rocky.jpg
    Rocky.jpg
    337.5 KB · Views: 26
An update. The crankset fits quite well, but maybe it's too much discolored. It's a pity. There is any way to return the anodised to a brighter state? And I would need new rings for it ( now three different brands and 2 colors in the rings).
I like the black syncros stem/seatpost more than silver. You were right.
Still pending to get a good Mag21...
Hi. I got a nice Mag21 with gold stanchions , my preferred. And a rim with XTR colour. I'll install FD, RD and brakes, levers XTR M900.
Do you think a gold Ringle skewers will fit well with gold crankset and letters?
I got a better set of cranks, with real gold bright color. Seatpost adn Stem are black.

Attachments

• Cranks.jpg
    Cranks.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 25
  • Rims.jpg
    Rims.jpg
    366.9 KB · Views: 23
  • Rocky.jpg
    Rocky.jpg
    337.5 KB · Views: 26
Hi. I got a nice Mag21 with gold stanchions , my preferred. And a rim with XTR colour. I'll install FD, RD and brakes, levers XTR M900.
Do you think a gold Ringle skewers will fit well with gold crankset and letters?
I got a better set of cranks, with real gold bright color. Seatpost adn Stem are black.
That stem is pretty but looks loooong. Unless your knuckels reach your knees i would say find something shorter. Fit is everything on mid 90s mtbs.

I think it's 140mm. But steel bikes are so sbelt that seeems huge! I will check how I feel. I will use a Monkey bar with 25 mm rise at the begining.

Looks good. I would go for the Shimano XT 737 instead of the XTR, because the black and silver and works quite fine.

If you are going to ride, the Bober is the best one, but a moded Mag 21 could work fine too.

The avid tri align of the original assembly were a nightmare. I got those in a Megamo radical with Kooka levers and pulleys and works awfull. Even with other levers. Very dificult to dial.

This will look good,

I agree with the above post, I think m737 will look better, the grey and silver will match well.

I think for some good looking wheels, I would go white industries with champagne rigida wheels. Those would match the frame well

Back