Do you remember the RB thread with the swingarm removal that I mentioned earlier? There, you could read that @Kestonian put his San Andreas frame into the dishwasher to clean it thoroughly [1]. I thought it was a great idea too, so went mine.

P1010296.JPG

DON'T DO THIS! I repeat: DON'T DO THIS! Did I already told you NOT TO DO THIS? I don't know how @Kestonian's frame came out from the dishwasher, but I was horrified discovering the effects of soda present in the dishwasher detergents on my frame. I was so destroyed having done such a stupid thing that I didn't take any picture of the damages. Retrospectively, I should have, as you'll see in a few moments. Perhaps @Kestonian was well aware of the damages that soda could make on aluminum parts and didn't put any dishwasher detergent. I wasn't that informed 🙁.

Last edited:
Numerous readings (many people tend to put their beloved Bialetti espresso makers into the dishwasher...) unfortunately revealed to me that chances to revert the damages of soda on aluminum are scarce. But the monocoque frame and swingarm looked really ugly, with irregular discolorations of the aluminum and golden brown stains here and there. To compensate for the soda effects, there are not that many choices but acid :eek:.

I opted for commonly available citric acid in powder form.

IMG_1696.jpg

Last edited:
Do you remember the RB thread with the swingarm removal that I mentioned earlier? There, you could read that @Kestonian put his San Andreas frame into the dishwasher to clean it thoroughly. I thought it was a great idea too, so went mine:

View attachment 688197

DON'T DO THIS! I repeat: DON'T DO THIS! Did I already told you NOT TO DO THIS? I don't know how @Kestonian's frame came out from the dishwasher, but I was horrified discovering the effects of soda present in the dishwasher detergents on my frame. I was so destroyed having done such a stupid thing that I didn't take any picture of the damages. Retrospectively, I should have, as you'll see in a few moments. Perhaps @Kestonian was well aware of the damages that soda could make on aluminum parts and didn't put any dishwasher detergent. I wasn't that informed 🙁.
I knew there was something sketchy about dishwashing bike frames…

I don’t trust dishwashers. Wash by hand saves energy and more reliable.

It would’ve probably been better to use blue roll and isopropyl alcohol and completely sanitize the frame.

@Mod-Master No, I didn't try scouring pads. The frame parts were rather put in an acid-diluted (in boiling water) solution for hours, until I could put my hands in the cooled water. Then, I let them bath in cold clear water for several hours again, in order to totally rinse any acid residual. To finish, a good wipe with a metal cleaner and my frame was back to life, even nicer than before!

P1010300.JPG
P1010301.JPG
P1010304.JPG
P1010281.JPG
P1010308.JPG
P1010324.JPG
P1010323.JPG
P1010313.JPG

Last edited:
Do you know the material of the frame?

If it’s aluminium then it would be cool to hit it with some metal polish and get a mirror shine🤩 one fingerprint though and it’s ruined.

@Mod-Master Yes, it's aluminum and not that sensitive to fingerprints. The frame has been restored for several years now.

Anyway, do you remember my father's S-Works M2 Pro story? The painted San Andreas monocoque frame was 1065g. Now unpainted, it's 1035g, so 30g for the paint, i.e. a little bit more than 3% of the total weight.

IMG_0267.jpg

Last edited:
Rebuilding bikes with period-correct parts can be challenging nowadays. But rebuilding bikes with catalog specs is even more challenging. And I do like challenges. However, early San Andreas were available as framesets only, @Baulz bike being a prominent reference.

Mountain Cycle also had some advertising in MTB magazines BITD, with complete bikes pictured.

Inside_Cover_Advert_MBA.jpg
SCAN0007_zps6fedb975.jpg

The first commercial ad depicts a '91 model, with grey anodized Suspenders System II forks, swingarm with square ends and without water bottle cage bosses on top of the monocoque frame, so earlier than mine. The second one depicts '92 models, with red anodized Suspenders System II forks (for the Team Elite frameset), swingarm with round ends and water bottle cage bosses on top of the monocoque frame, like mine.

Last edited:
I meant if it’s mirror finish then a greasy finger could mess up the look of it.

Microfiber over then it’s fine.

The disc brakes on this look mahoosive.

Back