Readers Classic Motorcycles - Chat Photos Builds/Resto’s etc

Sadly the bikes long gone but along with the lid I've still got my White paddock jacket with Durex Suzuki all over it

what the F*** was I thinking wearing that back in the day ..... FFS even Jamie Whitham looked a nob in that get up

this will be going back on for old times sake, but the jacket will be staying in the wardrobe

IMG_0248.JPG

Last edited:
There were quite a few companies that sprang up in the 90's, filling up shipping containers with JDM bikes and bringing them back, making big profits on exotica that was picked up for next to nothing, before vanishing into the ether. BAT was an easy pick as they were the biggest, and lasted longer than most.

Those earlier Slingshot oil cooled GSXR's with the 'up and over' frame were quite primitive: like a lorry in a party frock. Jumping on something that handled properly, like the NSR, must have been a revelation?

Never been a fan of Suzuki - except for the TL1000s, VJ22 / 23 RGVs and the K4 / 5 GSXR750's. Always found their build quality lacking.

Last edited:
Back in the day when I was young, stupid, and had my Army wages with nothing to spend it on I bought a G model GSXR1100 in rare Skoal Bandit green colour, the original slabside.

I'd ridden my KMX200 to Carnells to buy a topbox and rode out 90 minutes later on the Gixxer. Next thing I know Im hanging on for dear life as its smacking against the rev limiter in 1st at 90.

I had a very frantic 6 months or so flying about at warp 9. On one occasion I was riding up the dual carriageway section of the A5 through Milton Keynes when in the distance I spotted a bunch of scooter boys riding in a group, like a load of well groomed diet coke level Hells Angels. I wound up the Gixxer and shot up the middle of the group at an indicated 170 and looked in my mirrors to see them wobbling about like skittles.

Sadly, it had to sit outdoors in the car park at barracks and would go for weeks on end without being touched. Suzi's aren't well made and it was very quickly starting to look shabby as every fastener rusted and the alloy turned furry. That, and the dawning realisation that I was going to die if I carried on the way I was going, prompted me to trade it in against a new Kawasaki GT550. The GiT was a lively middleweight at the time, but felt so slow. Still, it was much better suited to being parked up and left and was more appropriate to its role as a two wheeled car rather than the Sunday flyer the Gixxer was.

Anyone seen the price of this!!
Had one of these BITD crap electrics unreliable having to go to Hillingdon every weekend for spares..
BUT I loved it!!😂

Attachments

• E7A882BC-0A82-4BB1-9E4B-1426D06E6B77.png
    E7A882BC-0A82-4BB1-9E4B-1426D06E6B77.png
    188.2 KB · Views: 25
So I’ve finally taken the plunge and made a deal on a 1996 Suzuki Colleda 50cc Moped.
Not quite super bike but it’s just to commute to the station.
I wanted a 50 as I don’t have to bother with a CBT or take a bike test (as had my car licence before 2001).
And a 2 stroke as any scooters I was looking at or modern 4 strokes can’t go faster than 29mph and that won’t do up some of the hilly roads here.

@Markybeau any experience with this ?
976EFBD8-7687-47A0-809A-F1182CC7093C.jpeg

So I’ve finally taken the plunge and made a deal on a 1996 Suzuki Colleda 50cc Moped.
Not quite super bike but it’s just to commute to the station.
I wanted a 50 as I don’t have to bother with a CBT or take a bike test (as had my car licence before 2001).
And a 2 stroke as any scooters I was looking at or modern 4 strokes can’t go faster than 29mph and that won’t do up some of the hilly roads here.

@Markybeau any experience with this ?
View attachment 802336
None, but how cool is that. That's a proper 50. Straight out of the 1960's. Based on the K50. Four speed box. No engine braking, small drum brakes and cross ply tyres - makes for excitement on every ride.

These were made for far east markets - India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines etc. Great looker. Pretty sure they weren't an official UK model.

Put decent tyres on it. Spoked wheels will likely mean tubed tyres, which might limit your options.
For short hops it will be good fun.

Buuuut - it's an old school two stroke. Buy decent quality two stroke oil, not cheap crap, or you will regret it.

AND - warm it up, warm it up, warm it up. Kick it over, jump on and ride away - is a recipe for the premature death of an engine. Especially such a small stroker, that has to work so hard.

Speed: fastest bikes in the world old Suzukis, by the time you hit 25mph it'll be reading 40 on the speedo :D . Get the carb up-jetted and the head ported and it will do over 40! ( Do that the first time it seizes... because it will!). I'd run it on super unleaded. At 87km per litre it won't be expensive!

Do yourself a favour Ibbz: Book yourself an hour or two with an instructor, even though you don't, technically, need to. Especially if you are thinking of putting your boy on the back.

That's a classy little bike! Good man

Last edited:
None, but how cool is that. That's a proper 50. Straight out of the 1960's. Based on the K50. Four speed box. No engine braking, small drum brakes and cross ply tyres - makes for excitement on every ride.

These were made for far east markets - India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines etc. Great looker. Pretty sure they weren't an official UK model.

Put decent tyres on it. Spoked wheels will likely mean tubed tyres, which might limit your options.
For short hops it will be good fun.

Buuuut - it's an old school two stroke. Buy decent quality two stroke oil, not cheap crap, or you will regret it.

AND - warm it up, warm it up, warm it up. Kick it over, jump on and ride away - is a recipe for the premature death of an engine. Especially such a small stroker, that has to work so hard.

Speed: fastest bikes in the world old Suzukis, by the time you hit 25mph it'll be reading 40 on the speedo :D . Get the carb up-jetted and the head ported and it will do 40! ( Do that the first time it seizes... because it will!). I'd run it on super unleaded. At 87km per litre it won't be expensive!

Do yourself a favour Ibbz: Book yourself an hour or two with an instructor, even though you don't, technically, need to. Especially if you are thinking of putting your boy on the back.

That's a classy little bike! Good man
Thanks mate
It took a long long time to decide on something !
I love the look ((and had been riding a similar looking Honda CD125 in Pakistan recently (and last year ) but that’s 4 stroke. )
And with the retro bike exp I thought something simple to get into getting to know motorcycles
It’s still on sale on eBay by the seller as I suggested he leave it on until I pay him next week.
Japanese import
He’s selling it for the price and that’ll include registry with DVLA, MOT and letter from Suzuki owners club to confirm it.
Plus £100 to deliver it to me in Mistley (outside mannigtree)

Thanks again mate. And you’ve just hit me with some new terminology! Head porting and jetting of carbs!! Now I’ll have to get the Hayes manual too and look up what all these mean and how to!
And there’s of course need to look at tyres - there’s a scrambler version of this with some knobby ones
EA347D3D-BFB4-4786-AEE5-EA0AAE6F93A5.jpeg

And forgot to add - thanks for the tip - I’ll take your advice regarding an instructor - makes sense !
Though I doubt my missus would let him ride with me !! Haha!
Ps. It lacks passenger foot pegs - but looking at it I guess there is a mount ?

@ibbz

As skilled as you are with a set of spanners: simple tech and easy to work on, you'll pick it up in no time.

Footpegs - oh yes. I didn't notice that. There will be after market options

Very cool bike, you'll have a lot of fun on that.

I would very much second the advice to get some training though. It wouldn't hurt to just do your CBT even though you don't actually need to I don't know how much it is these days (it was about £100 when I did it about 12 years ago) but it's a small price to pay to pick up some valuable experience on UK roads and defensive riding tips.

After riding big bikes for several years I chose to ride a Honda C90 as daily transport for a couple years in all weathers and I stayed incident free mostly down to the defensive riding skills I accrued over the years through experience on bigger machines, doing my full licence and a bikesafe course.

Back