Servicing and possibly upgrading RS Judy DH 95's

No lol, I meant original Risse vs 2024 Risse aesthetics, I'll absolutely stick with the unexpected high end upgrade ;)
😂 Sorry, got the wrong end of the stick!
Yeah, If I was in your situation, with a fork that looks to be in exceptional condition, with the Risse damper, I think I'd buy some coils and be safe in the knowledge that I had what was about as good as it got before the Bomber came along and redefined everything. 👍 😁

Come on the Judy was only MCU for two years 95/96, it was then a combo MCU/spring 97 and then by 1998 full spring and into the 00s. Also providing spring upgrades for older forks.

They went to springs for a reason, and given the damper. Get springs.

They only jumped onto MCUs for weight and because other cool forks had it at the time, 'it was the thing' even though their and marzocchi air/oil forks had the better idea.

Just unloaded the internals and I found this, is it stock? Or some aftermarket damper cartridge?
View attachment 848073

Also I thought DH had dampers in both legs?
The decals you've cleaned impressively show there were dampers in both legs.

The risse gem was an upgrade for sure. If it does indeed do both compression and rebound, it's weight saving as only the oil volume in one leg.

Assume there is a dummy shaft in the other leg?

The decals you've cleaned impressively show there were dampers in both legs.

The risse gem was an upgrade for sure. If it does indeed do both compression and rebound, it's weight saving as only the oil volume in one leg.

Assume there is a dummy shaft in the other leg?
Yes dummy shaft in the other leg.

I weighed the bike before tearing it down, can't remember the exact weight but it very close to 11kg (10.8?), which I thought was light for a bike with early suspension forks. The damper upgrade accounts for that. The fork also has an XC crown, as opposed to the more robust DH crown. Looking at the other component selection it looks like the entire build was put together with weight saving as the main focus.

I'll be getting springs for this, even if it means a few more grams.

Last edited:
Love a good bit of DIY refurbing, especially on a set of Judy's, I have a bit of a thing for Judy's 😄

That upgraded cartridge is a real bonus 👌

I would also go spring upgrade with that Risse cartridge, will make for a great fork.

The only upgrade better in my opinion is Englund Total Air cartridges.
As long as the Forks move nice and slick, they are the ultimate upgrade to the judy, I have 3 Judy's running Total Air internals, so smooth.

Just an FYI, you can get replacement decals quite easily for all Judy's now 👍😎

I agree, total air upgrade is about as good as it gets. Regret selling my fsx forks upgraded to the max with Englund, ti bolts everywhere, styff carbon brace, custom alloy steerer tube with inbuilt headset preload thread.

Back